Monday, June 23, 2008

Pepito, fun-loving bon vivant.


Rafael, our Director of Development wants to make a show about business called Company Jones or Co. Jones. I can't wait. Among the many suggestions for topics that I've given him, all of which he hates I think, is this one - "Can we do a segment on Pepito, the water skiing dog that needs Lasik surgery?" I'm pretty much obsessed with Pepito. I mentioned this to Patti, my neighbor - she knew just who I was talking about.

Other people find him equally fascinating. It's the strangest campaign of all time. But it WORKS. It gets people talking. I googled the words "Pepito had Lasik" and right away two people on Flicker had pictures of him, This one, posted on Flickr by Lamvuong, featured the comments below - rsscohen wrote:

I love Pepito. I drive by him every day to work. He is so happy since he got Lasik. He never used to water-ski. Now look at him!

Do you know where I can find more Pepito pictures? I saw another one of him in South Miami, before he had lasik. It was terrible. He had thick coke-glasses, and you could tell that he wasn't engaging in any sort of fun beach activities.

Oh, Pepito!


and Julia Heffernan wrote:

haha OMG! I am obsessed with the Pepito bill board on rt 1. It is such a weird campaign. I have the same picture on my flickr, although not as good quality


This campaign works. Talk about setting yourself apart from the field through catchy advertising. Who is Pepito, coño!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love Pepito, i haven't seen that billboard you are showing in the picture, but the same one was by us1 and bird road ( I think ) , now there is another pepito got lasik with pepito as an astronaut! I'll try to take a picture sometime this week.

theCardinal said...

C'mon Bill - if a reader has no idea what Company Jones is then they really aren't part of Generation ñ. I know we used it as the name of our intramural football team in HS for three years and the teachers never caught on...even when the commish inadvertently did us a favor by abbreviating our name in the standings.

Anonymous said...

There's a Mexican restaurant in New Haven, CT called CO Jones. It's a hot spot among Yalies there. I wish I lived in Miami so I could see Pepito on my commute, too:)